Identifying relevant keyboard buttons with colors can reduce respondent burden if using CASI or A-CASI. The following protocol was used in an A-CASI survey of sensitive sexual and illegal behaviors in rural Kenya and Malawi :
- The survey instrument was programmed and run from a laptop, with external mini-keyboard and headphones connected to laptop.
- Respondents used the audio headphones to listen to the questions and response options.
- Respondents entered responses via an external mini-keypad linked to the A-CASI program on the laptop.
- Keyboard had numbers and color-coded keys for replaying and entering options; majority of questions dichotomous.
- Respondents were able to use A-CASI with minimal assistance.
Figure G1: Color-coded keys are used for an A-CASI survey of sensitive sexual and illegal behaviors.